Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Actor

An out of work actor got a call from his agent one day. "I've got you a job" said the agent.
"That's great, what is it?"
"Well it's a one line role in a play."
"That's great" replied the actor, "I've been out of work for so long, that I'll take anything; What's the line?"
"Hark !I hear the cannons roar" .
"Hark! I hear the cannons roar?" the actor questioned.
"Yes", confirmed the agent.
"When's the audition?"
"Wednesday" .Wednesday comes and the actor arrived at the audition. He marched onto the stage and shouted, "Hark! I hear the cannons roar".
"Brilliant" said the director, "you've got the job, be here at 6 o'clock on Saturday night".The actor was so happy that he headed straight to his favorite bar and went on a major bender. He drank for two days and finally collapsed.
He woke up at 5:30 on Saturday , and in a panic, took off to the theatre, continuously repeating his line; "Hark! I hear the cannons roar. Hark! I hear the cannons roar. He arrived at the stage entrance, out of breath, and was stopped by the security guard.
"Who the hell are you?" he asked.
"I'm here to perform in the play."
"You're late, get up to makeup straight away."
So he ran to make up, repeating his line; "Hark! I hear the cannons roar.
"Who the hell are you" asked the makeup girl."The play has already started"
"I'm here to perform in the play"
"You're late, sit down here." She applied the makeup and gave him his costume. "Now quick, get down to the stage, you're about to go on"
So he raced down to the stage, continually repeating his line; "Hark! I hear the cannons roar. Hark! I hear the cannons roar."
The stage manager was pacing back and forth, and when he saw the actor, he yelled,"Where the fuck have you been? Get out there! Your cue is coming any second now."
The actor rushed onstage, and BANG! A loud explosion went off right behind him.
Caught off guard, he turned and screamed, "HOLY FUCK! WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!!!!"

6 comments:

Anna said...

I love that joke... first heard it about 20 years ago; still tell it occasionally too.

badgerbob said...

I'm not sure if that was a compliment, or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?

badgerbob said...

Shan, tomorrow I will have a special joke ,just for you.

morbid misanthrope said...

If I had a nickel for all the times that happened to me...minus the acting part. I was referring to the two day drinking benders.

drunkbh said...

Okay, I liked it.

LisaBinDaCity said...

I liked it too...