Monday, November 27, 2006

A Little Christmas Cheer

One snowy December, I was rushing around trying to get some last minute Christmas shopping done. I was stressed out and not thinking very fondly of the Christmas season just then. It was dark, cold and wet in the parking lot as I was loading my car up with gifts that I felt obligated to buy.
I noticed that I was missing a receipt that I would probably need later on, so muttering under my breath, I retraced my steps to the mall entrance.
As I was searching the wet pavement for the missing receipt, I heard a quiet sobbing nearby. The crying was coming from a poorly dressed girl, who guessed was about 12 years old. She was short and thin, and had no coat.
She was just wearing a ragged flannel shirt to protect her from the cold winter night's chill.
Oddly enough, she was holding a hundred dollar bill in her hand.
Thinking that she had gotten separated from her parents and was lost, I asked her what was wrong. She told me her sad story, she said that she came from a large family of three brothers and four sisters. Her father had died when she was 9 years old. Her mother was poorly educated and worked two full time jobs, from which she made very little to support the family.
Nevertheless, she had skimped and saved $200 to buy Christmas gifts for her children. The young girl had been dropped off by her mother on the way to her second job, given the money and told to buy presents for the kids and save just enough to take the bus home.
She had not even entered the mall, when a young man grabbed one of the $100 bills and disappeared into the night.
Why didn't you scream for help?" I asked.
"I did." said the girl.
"And no one came to help you?" I wondered.
The girl stared at the sidewalk and sadly shook her head.
"How loud did you scream?" I inquired.
The soft spoken little girl looked up and meekly whispered, "Help me!"
I realized that absolutely no one could have heard this poor girl's cry for help.
So I grabbed her other $100 bill, and bolted for my car.

4 comments:

NewYorkMoments said...

Waste not want not. Carpe diem. Or is that Carpe Dollarem?

badgerbob said...

I believe you mean Carp'sgoodeatin?

morbid misanthrope said...

Dude, I was totally the the first guy to steal her money. I was going to snag both bills, but, come on, I'm not an asshole.

badgerbob said...

Hey, don't sell yourself short.